Saturday, October 10, 2009

Method 4

This "method" is a no brainer. I have been using Google reader for quite awhile now and my only problem, similiar to one I had long ago when email listserves were all the rage, is how to keep from subscribing to all the blogs or news sites I like.
I might have liked a particular blog but I rarely reminded to check one on a regular basis. If it came to me like email I read it but not otherwise. Here are 3 of my favorites ones.
http://lonewolflibrarian.wordpress.com/
One of my favorite sites. I'm a little worried about him right now since he got downsized and is out there looking for a job. It is amazing how you can get sucked into other folks lives through these blogs. My listserves were a little more impersonal although now that I think about it those folks on ACAT listserve did get a little hot under the collar at times about those cataloging issues.

http://www.libraries.wright.edu/noshelfrequired/
One of my newer sites. I just bought an Amazon Kindle this summer and got hooked on reading ebooks even though my library has had a collection of 50,000 Netlibrary books for a couple of years. So I got interested in Sue Polanka's blog. She cover the entire realm of ebooks from readers to the implication of ebooks for libraries. Should we jump now, hold off a while longer, or just dip a toe in the waters. Should we buy a new smaller Kindle (they just dropped the price you know) or a Sony or hold off for a color one. Should we be reading our ebooks on a kindle or on our laptops or our Iphones. I've done all three and I admit except for the weight I prefer reading on my laptop. I can barely see the pages on my Iphone.

http://www.acrl.ala.org/acrlinsider/
This is just a conversion from one of my emailed listerves. I've done that a lot recently. Dropped an email link I may have had for years so that I get it on my reader. It is often more entertaining on the web and it cleans up my email box a little. This last one came out on the 8th and talked about the H1N1 flu and libraries, information literacy training, and had a great article pre-print from C&RL about those non affilated users that I mention in a previous post about Google Docs. I don't have to remember to visit it every so often . It comes to me.

One thing I learned however was not to sign up to the news or popular culture feeds. They just dump way too much into the reader. I still just duck into Yahoo news a couple of times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment