Saturday, October 10, 2009

Methods 1 and 2

Web 2 is simply a progression. It is a change no different than most.
My great grandparents moved from the deep South to Texas because of the War between the States. My grandparents as children gave up riding horses to learn to drive a car. My mother never used a personal computer or sent an email yet I bought my first personal computer before my library had anything but a connection to the campus main frame.
Web 2 is simply a progression. It is a change no different than most. It is inevitable.
I started in a library tying together paper card catalog cards we bought from LC. Now I sit here viewing my catalog on its own web page and wondering if we should let our campus “improve it” by using Librarything for Libraries.
Web 2 is simply a progression. It is a change no different than most. It is inevitable. But we will adapt to it at our own pace. My boss set us up for Web.2 23 things this summer. It was a requirement not an option and I resisted. It wasn’t my age although I am older than most in my library. It wasn’t that I didn’t like the new technology. I think I did not like posting private thoughts for the world to see. I was also busy. I had other things to do. More important things,.I believed. Now I am ready again. In my own time. Web 2 allows you to do that.
Library 2 progresses naturally from Web 2. It is a change no different than most. It is inevitable. But we will adapt to it at our own pace. Some libraries faster than others. Mine will move slower than some. Our students and faculty are not driving us to make the changes but they will not resist it. I remember when we moved to a online catalog way before the web was involved. A few faculty and even fewer students commented that they preferred the card catalog. (I was just glad to stop tying cards together.) But they learned at their own pace. Now many of us have already adapted to some elements of Web 2 in our private lives. When they appear in a library setting it will not be a huge change for the user. But, we must make sure we prioritize the time and energy we use to implement a change.
We implemented a chat line because the campus as a whole went to a chat line to connect with distance learners. There are more popular ones some which we will study in this “class” but ours works. It did not cost the library anything except training time. We could add a more popular one as well but I doubt we will. We have a FaceBook page but it isn’t visited often and most of its”friends” work here. How much time and effort should we put into it. How much time and effort for any of this. Stick around and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment